Saturday, August 13, 2011

Day Forty - Displaced

Day Forty. Well it's taken me a couple of weeks to get this blog post down. Not for lack of trying. I'm a whirling dervish. My head is in 20 places at any given time. I have a hundred buying decisions to tackle -- and I never thought I'd say this -- buying is becoming a drag. In fact decision-making in general has become quite a drag. Flooring - tile - lighting - furniture - kitchen appliances - paint colors - etc. etc. 


And then there's the termites. Don't even get me started on the termites. Apparently our home is/was like a 24 hour Vegas buffet for termites. It's quite tasty. A big striped tent is somewhere in our future....


So here's where we're at. No one in my immediate family imagined that the scope of this job was a huge as it is. It's huger than huge, it's humongous. So we moved. We're living in my sisters apartment in Santa Monica, coming up  every morning and many evenings and weekends as well sometimes. It's hard on everyone -- but especially my sister who is used to solitary living and not a sometimes messy, usually chaotic family of 4 - 7 if you count the 3 dogs that we dragged along with us. Thank you Darien. You are a saint.


In addition to just the complexity of managing a family and a business (plus my husbands new film project), the social life of a teenager and keeping a 5 year old happy and occupied from a satellite location, we have to deal with the start of school just 10 days from now. Note to self: shop for a hotel near schools today. Phew.


All that aside....the project is moving along swimmingly. And its going to be amazing when it's done. My worries that Nick's new bedroom would be too small was for nothing - the room is perfect. The ROOM (the term "great room" makes me nervous), is going to be pretty awesome and entertaining central. I'm happy to still have my beautiful living room as a retreat when all of this open floor plan stuff makes me crave a little piece and quiet. You know?


So how 'bout a few pictures?
We Now Have Skylights! Ok - maybe not.

...And a Beautiful En Suite. Ok - maybe not.

But We Do Have A Shipment of French Doors From China!

And A Little Girl That Comes To Clean Up The Place!

...And A Final Footprint That's Pretty Damn Cool!

1 comment:

  1. wow you are brave! but i knew that already. watching you from the sidelines makes me realize we should just buy another house in a few years and not remodel. i don't have the balls.
    xo love to you guys!

    ReplyDelete